Tuesday, September 17, 2013

You Were Right

I had major anxiety for a few weeks leading up to Sport starting Middle School... will he find his way, how will he remember all of his folders and books when I can't get him to remember to brush his teeth!?!?

So far he has managed to bring all his homework home (that we are aware). His first math assignment we had one of those "lovely" mother son chats because he didn't show any work. I swear he is Rainman! Numbers fly through his head and just comes so easily. Me on the other hand... I was using fingers, and toes, and asking to use his too!!! I discussed the importance of showing work and also we had a chat about remembering to write his Name, Date, and Page Number so we can find his work in order. I also suggested leaving some space to write changes/ notes if he got something wrong. Simple things so I thought but he just didn't agree. I get the age of wanting to do things on his own. I bit my tongue and let him turn it in how he wanted (WOW that was hard)!!!

The next day he came home and I asked how his homework turned out. A big sigh and mumbled under his breath "You were right she wanted more spacing and to show my work". As painful as that was for him to admit, I was so proud of him for being honest and sharing that with me. I chose not to gloat and make a big scene. Instead "OK well that's good at least we know what she expects". I ended the conversation and it was happily every after.

Although I am super proud of this situation. I will also say I wasn't so wrong to be in the panic I was in. I also suggested he put his "cool" new school ID in a safe spot in his backpack. He insisted in putting it in his locker. This morning I asked if he remembers where he put ..... the blank look was a give away as he said "Ummm I'm really not sure where that went". BIG breath.... I shared with him we will have to try to hunt that down and advised he looked in his locker, his room, and backpack when he has time. I then also pointed out to him that his school ID is his card for lunches therefore I loaded it with $20! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Take the good with the bad we are all learning from this experience together.


No comments:

Post a Comment